A Manual of Essential Pediatrics, Second Edition, the revised and updated edition provides essential state-of-the-art information on childcare right from birth to adolescence. The book serves as a practical guide to pediatricians for the diagnosis and treatment of common disorders and diseases of neonates, children, and adolescents. The author has used his experience of over 50 years to cover core pediatric topics such as growth and development, behavior and developmental disorders, common day-to-day illnesses, immunizations, and nutrition in a simple and succinct manner. The book includes chapters on the developing subspecialties of cardiology, neurology, nephrology, endocrinology, hemato-oncology, and community pediatrics.
- Based on the recommendations of the Medical Council of India.
- A step-by-step guide to procedures and supportive care relevant to common pediatric diseases.
- Commonly Asked Questions provided at the end of each chapter enable students to reinforce basic concepts in pediatrics and face the challenge of examinations with confidence.
- Incorporates standard guidelines and protocols of WHO, UNICEF, and IAP.
- A large number of tables, diagrams and photographs, algorithms, flowcharts, and practical tips help in better understanding of critical information, enabling students and residents to make an early diagnosis and promptly manage common pediatric disorders.
- Special emphasis on neonatology, infectious diseases, infant feeding, and nutritional disorders, which form the core of clinical pediatrics in most developing countries.
About the Author
Dr. Meharban Singh, MD, is the former Professor and Head, Department of Pediatrics, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India. He is also the former Secretary and President of the National Neonatology Forum of India and former President of the Indian Academy of Pediatrics. He has been working in the field of pediatrics for the past 50 years and is an eminent pediatrician and neonatologist. He has published 12 titles, including 10 that focus on neonatology and pediatrics. He is well known for his common sense analytical approach towards clinical problems of children. An outstanding writer and a medical teacher par excellence, he has served as a short-term WHO consultant and MCH advisor to several countries and has been the Director, Indira Gandhi Institute of Child Health, Kabul, Afghanistan during 1979 to 1983. He has delivered over 35 prestigious Endowment Lectures and Orations and has been invited by the American Academy of Pediatrics as an International Visiting Professor of Pediatrics for a lecture tour of USA and Canada. He has been conferred the Fellowships of a large number of academic bodies.
An award-winning international medical and scientifi c publisher, Thieme has demonstrated its commitment to the highest standard of quality in the state-of-the-art content and presentation of all of its products. Thieme's trademark blue and silver covers have become synonymous with excellence in publishing.